About the Library
Library is the heart of an institution. It plays a vital role in the college curriculum. Improvement in instruction, research, and extension program of the college depends largely on the well-furnished and better library system.
Students educational growth can be enhanced through resources or materials that serve as supplement of what they have learned in the classroom. Library is the best source of information that students and instructors need in classroom instruction. Knowing these library materials and the system will develop library skills in researching or acquiring the needed information or data. The different library resources as books and other reference materials and the way they are arranged/classified are part of library system that best serve as requirements for quality education.
The SIPC-WVCST Miagao Campus library is committed to achieve excellence in providing quality resources and services among its clientele for improved instruction, research, extension, and production programs of the college.
To provide relevant and adequate information and knowledge that meets the needs, abilities, and interests for a lifelong education of its clientele through the use of quality collection in any acceptable form and content.
The library started its operation in 1948 with Mr. Francisco Gargarita as the Principal. It was managed by a high school teacher Mrs. Rufina Gargarita. It was called Miagao High School Library. The name of the Library has undergone changes as the school evolved. In 1958, it was named Miagao Vocational School Library as the school was converted to Miagao Vocational School with Mr. Rosauro de Leon as the Principal. Mrs. Gargarita continuously managed the library from 1948 – 1975 as a teacher-librarian.
In 1976, Mrs. Ma. Eleanor G. Monsale was appointed librarian in time for new demands in reference materials since the school started to offer a Two-Year Trade Technical Education in 1977.
Under the administration of Mr. Jose V. Francisco (1976-1985) Miagao Vocational Library was changed to Southern Iloilo Polytechnic College Library in 1984.
On November 24, 2000 with Mr. Jesus N. Nasa as Superintendent, SIPC was integrated to Western Visayas College of Science and Technology, thus, the name of the library became SIPC-WVCST Miagao Campus Library. The integration brought about demands in information and instructional materials that could meet the needs of its clientele in different fields of specialization. Mrs. Ma. Eleanor G. Monsale served as School Librarian III until year 2001.
In 2002, Miss Sherryl N. Nono took over as School Librarian III of SIPC-WVCST Miagao Campus Library under the supervision of Dr. Raul F. Muyong as the Campus Dean. The phasing out of Secondary Program in August 2002 made the college a full-time CHED Supervised institution offering Bachelor’s Degree courses.
June 2006, modern technology has been integrated in the library. Internet surfing is made available to clientele at the same time an air-conditioned Listening and Viewing Room (LVR) was made into reality for the purpose of enhancing research and instruction. It was July 31- August 2, 2006 when the library undergone the very first pre-limenary visit conducted by the AACCUP (Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities of the Philippines)
At present, the college library caters to the research and instructional needs of its clientele. In coordination with the administration, the library has acquired updated instructional and reference materials that support the college curriculum. To meet the current demands in accessing information thru modern technologies, multimedia facilities are also available in this library.
Mrs. Sherryl N. Buño is serving as the College Librarian III with two library personnel who assist in the operation and some student assistants who help facilitate in the routinely activities and services. The library is currently catering to the library needs of two thousand college students and 146 faculty and staff of the college.