Categories Menu

About the Library


Goals:

To make library resources and services available to library customers. 

Objectives:

  1. To provide relevant and updated informational, curricular and recreational reading resources to the academic community.
  2. To provide fast access and delivery of information support to instruction, research and extension services.
  3. To continuously meet the information needs of ISAT U academic community through selection and acquisition of updated and relevant print and non-print materials such as books, current journals, software and online resources.
  4. To improve and upgrade library facilities.
  5. To regularly evaluate the effectiveness of library programs and policies.

Historical Background

The library started its operation in 1948 with Mr. Francisco Gargarita as the Principal. It was managed by a high school teacher Mrs. Rufina Gargarita. It was called Miagao High School Library. The name of the Library has undergone changes as the school evolved. In 1958, it was named Miagao Vocational School Library as the school was converted to Miagao Vocational School with Mr. Rosauro de Leon as the Principal. Mrs. Gargarita continuously managed the library from 1948 – 1975 as a teacher-librarian.

In 1976, Mrs. Ma. Eleanor G. Monsale was appointed librarian in time for new demands in reference materials since the school started to offer a Two-Year Trade Technical Education in 1977. Under the administration of Mr. Jose V. Francisco (1976-1985) Miagao Vocational Library was changed to Southern Iloilo Polytechnic College Library in 1984.

On November 24, 2000 with Mr. Jesus N. Nasa as Superintendent, SIPC was integrated to Western Visayas College of Science and Technology, thus, the name of the library became SIPC-WVCST Miagao Campus Library. The integration brought about demands in information and instructional materials that could meet the needs of its clientele in different fields of specialization. Mrs. Ma. Eleanor G. Monsale served as School Librarian III until year 2001.

In 2002, Miss Sherryl N. Nono took over as School Librarian III of SIPC-WVCST Miagao Campus Library under the supervision of Dr. Raul F. Muyong as the Campus Dean. The phasing out of Secondary Program in August 2002 made the college a full-time CHED Supervised institution offering Bachelor’s Degree courses.

Since June 2006, modern technology has been integrated in the library. Internet surfing is made available to clientele to enhance research and instruction.

The library has undergone several evaluations since 2006 by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and the Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities of the Philippines (AACCUP) accrediting team. Thus, the library collection, facilities, equipment have been enhanced to meet the required standards.

In 2015, by virtue of R.A. a Republic Act Converting WVCST into a university and by confirmation of CHED En Banc Resolution No. 207-2015, the college is now known as Iloilo Science and Technology University. Thus, the library is now known as a University Library.

Presently, the library continuously caters to the research and instructional needs of its customers. It is equipped with modern facilities and resources with its Learning Resource Center expansion to cater the growing population of the University.